Miffy’s birthday is just around the corner, which means one thing – birthday cake! Miffy’s favourite cake is a Victoria Sponge with extra sprinkles, so why don’t you come and help her? Don’t forget your apron!
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
For the filling:
- 100g butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- drop vanilla extract
- strawberry jam
For the buttercream decoration:
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- Coloured sprinkles
- Tube of black writing icing
- First, get an grown up to help you preheat the oven to 190°C, then butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the cake, put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat together until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide this mixture evenly between the two cake tins, smoothing the tops down with a spatula. Now pop them into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown all over. Why not have a cup of tea and read your favourite Miffy book while you wait?
- When they’re all done, carefully turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave them to cool. We don’t want any burnt fingers!
- To make the buttercream filling, beat the softened butter until it’s smooth and creamy, then gradually add in the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread the buttercream over the top of one of them. Cover this with some strawberry jam and pop the other cake on top, to make a sandwich. You can use raspberry or apricot jam if you prefer, but Miffy’s favourite is strawberry.
- To make the buttercream decoration, beat the softened butter and gradually add the icing sugar until smooth. Cover the entire cake with the buttercream, including the sides. Now pop a Miffy cookie cutter in the middle of the cake and cover the rest with the coloured sprinkles, avoiding inside the cookie cutter.
- Once finished, take the cutter off and you should have a lovely picture of Miffy. Just add her eyes and mouth using the black writing icing – now it’s all ready Miffy’s birthday party!