Whether you are hosting a Halloween party this year or just want to make your home look super spooky, a pumpkin is essential! Miffy has created some simple steps and tips to help all her friends carve the perfect Halloween decoration.
What you will need
- One fresh pumpkin (ideally with a flat bottom so it won’t roll around while you are carving)
- An ice cream scoop
- A sharp knife (get an adult to help you with this part)
- An A4 piece of card
- Masking tape or duct tape
- To begin with, cut out an angled, circular “lid” at the top of the pumpkin.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove all the seeds and string. Then scrape the pumpkin to thin its sides.
- Sketch out your Miffy design on a piece of card then cut it out. Try being creative by sketching Miffy at the museum or with her dog, Snuffy!
- Tape your template to the front of your pumpkin and carefully poke holes along the lines. Make sure to pick the side you want to carve wisely!
- Remove the template and carve the pumpkin following the dotted holes. You should try to start cutting at the centre of your pattern and work your way out. Use an up and down motion like you would with a sewing machine.
- Once you have finished carving, pop your pieces out by pressing on the pumpkin from the inside. If you used an up and down motion when cutting, they should pop out smoothly.
7. There you have it – your Miffy pumpkin is complete! Don’t forget to take a photo of your amazing carved pumpkin and tag @miffy_official.
- If your pumpkin starts to shrivel before Halloween, then you can revive it with a soak in cold water for up to eight hours.
- Sprinkle cinnamon inside the lid for a pumpkin pie smell when you light your candle.
- Don’t waste your pumpkin seeds! You could make some soup or roast the seeds! You can find a recipe here – https://miffyblogs.com/2019/10/11/miffy-food-pumpkin-soup/