With Easter just around the corner, what could be a better (or cuter!) treat than Miffy-shaped hot cross buns? Put on your chef hat and get ready to make hot cross bunnies that are almost too cute to eat!
Watch Miffy’s helpful video showing how to make your own HERE.
You will need:
- 120ml double cream
- 130ml whole milk
- 60g caster sugar
- 7g yeast
- 320g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- One egg for egg wash
- Flour for rolling
- 30g melted dark chocolate
- Piping bag
- First, add the cream, milk and sugar into a saucepan and simmer until all the sugar has melted. Miffy always has Mother Bunny supervise her for this step!
- Next, remove the pan from the heat. When the milk is warm but not hot, add the yeast.
- Leave the mixture for a few minutes until the liquid has bubbled slightly. This shows the yeast is working and ready to make your hot cross bunnies rise!
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the milk mixture. Next, knead it for 5-10 minutes until it forms a ball.
- You now need to leave the dough in a bowl for 1-2 hours. This is Miffy’s favourite step, as the dough magically doubles in size during this time! Why not do some colouring in while you wait? https://www.miffy.com/coloring/
- Next, knock the air out of the dough by kneading it for a few minutes until it’s smooth.
- Now it’s time to shape your dough into bunnies! Cut it into eight pieces and roll six of them into balls. Place these onto a greaseproof paper lined baking tray.
- Cut the two remaining pieces into six pieces so there are 12 total. Next, shape them into Miffy’s bunny ears and add them to the dough balls. Can you see them starting to look like Miffy yet?
- Cover the tray with greased cling film and leave to rise for another half an hour until the dough doubles in size again.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C ready for your hot cross bunnies.
- Brush them with the beaten egg and bake for about 20 minutes. They should be golden and hollow sounding when you tap them on the base.
- Leave your Miffy treats to cool before using a piping bag to create her features with the melted chocolate.
Now, the only thing left to do is enjoy your delicious hot cross bunnies – just try not to eat them all at once!